Reasons for backdating council tax benefit

In your request for backdating, you need to tell us the date you want to have your claim paid from and also the circumstances that prevented you from making your application earlier.This would be for the period between when you want your award of Housing Benefit to start and when you actually make your claim.

Applying for CTR If you are liable for council tax, you can apply for CTR if you are on a low income.

All claimants have at least 8.5% of their annual council tax to pay but where this causes any budgeting problems you can contact the Benefits Section to see if additional discretionary help can be provided to reduce the amount you have to pay.

Such an award will be made to your council tax account From the CTS Discretionary Fund.

Note that the introduction of Universal Credit for working age claimants from 23rd November 2015 within the Derbyshire Dales will gradually see working age claimants stop receiving Housing Benefit and instead claim assistance with their housing costs with a single Universal Credit payment.

Someone who is of pensionable age can continue to claim Housing Benefit with the District Council.